Tuesday 22 March 2011



A little while ago Niamh and Emily showed a few of us how to finger-knit. It's really simple to do and although it's limited (you can only do it on one hand, using four fingers which means the width is the same and always quite narrow) I thought it resembled a skeleton spine. I experimented with scale at first, using sewing thread instead of thicker yarn and pins instead of fingers. The outcome was really interesting, they looked like tiny delicate spines or a group of worms and insects. The problem was, finger-knitting on such a small scale meant that the process was very intricate, it was time-consuming and often I would loop the wrong thread or one part would come undone by itself. These difficulties became less problematic after I had done a few and got used to it.
I decided to make it into a structure, covering them in PVA over a balloon. Although it's sturdier, it's still quite delicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment